- premise, premiss, assumption - a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn; "on the assumption that he has been injured we can infer that he will not to play"
--1 is a kind of postulate, posit
--1 has particulars:
major premise, major premiss; minor premise, minor premiss, subsumption; thesis; condition, precondition, stipulation; scenario Derived form: verb assume1
- assumption, supposition, supposal - a hypothesis that is taken for granted; "any society is built upon certain assumptions"
--2 is a kind of hypothesis, possibility, theory
--2 has particulars:
conclusion; basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone; given, presumption, precondition; basic assumption, constatation, self-evident truth Derived form: verb assume1
- assumption, laying claim - the act of taking possession of or power over something; "his assumption of office coincided with the trouble in Cuba"; "the Nazi assumption of power in 1934"; "he acquired all the company's assets for ten million dollars and the assumption of the company's debts"
--3 is a kind of acquisition
Derived forms: verb assume2, verb assume4, verb assume6
- Assumption, Assumption of Mary, August 15 - celebration in the Roman Catholic Church of the Virgin Mary's being taken up into heaven when her earthly life ended; corresponds to the Dormition in the Eastern Orthodox church
--4 is a kind of holy day of obligation
--4 is a part of August, Aug
- presumption, presumptuousness, effrontery, assumption - audacious (even arrogant) behavior that you have no right to; "he despised them for their presumptuousness"
--5 is a kind of audacity, audaciousness
--5 has particulars: uppityness, uppishness
- Assumption - (Christianity) the taking up of the body and soul of the Virgin Mary when her earthly life had ended
--6 is a kind of miracle
Derived form: verb assume8
- assumption - the act of assuming or taking for granted; "your assumption that I would agree was unwarranted"
--7 is a kind of act, human action, human activity
--7 has particulars: position
Derived form: verb assume1