- excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus - more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
Antonym: necessary (indirect, via unnecessary)
- excess, surplus, surplusage, nimiety - a quantity much larger than is needed
--1 is a kind of overabundance, overmuch, overmuchness, superabundance
- excess, excessiveness, inordinateness - immoderation as a consequence of going beyond sufficient or permitted limits
--2 is a kind of immoderation, immoderateness
--2 has particulars:
extravagance, extravagancy; exorbitance, outrageousness; overplus, plethora, superfluity, embarrassment
- surfeit, excess, overabundance - the state of being more than full
--3 is a kind of fullness
- overindulgence, excess - excessive indulgence; "the child was spoiled by overindulgence"
--4 is a kind of indulgence, indulging, pampering, humoring