Adjective independent has 6 senses
- independent - free from external control and constraint; "an independent mind"; "a series of independent judgments"; "fiercely independent individualism"; "an independent republic"
Antonyms: dependent, babelike, helpless, interdependent, mutualist, mutually beneficial, parasitic, parasitical, leechlike, bloodsucking, reliant, symbiotic, underage, myrmecophilous
- independent - not dependent on or conditioned by or relative to anything else
Antonym: relative (indirect, via absolute)
- autonomous, independent, self-governing, sovereign - of political bodies; "an autonomous judiciary"; "a sovereign state"
Antonym: unfree (indirect, via free)
- independent - not contingent
Antonym: conditional (indirect, via unconditional)
- independent, main - of a clause; able to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence; "the main (or independent) clause in a complex sentence has at least a subject and a verb"
Antonyms: dependent, subordinate
- independent - not controlled by a party or interest group
Antonyms: partisan, partizan (indirect, via nonpartisan)
,Noun independent has 2 senses
- mugwump, independent, fencesitter - a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
--1 is a kind of individualist
- freelance, independent, self-employed person - a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
--2 is a kind of worker