Adjective original has 4 senses
- original - preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed; "the original inhabitants of the Americas"; "the book still has its original binding"; "restored the house to its original condition"; "the original performance of the opera"; "the original cast"; "retracted his original statement"
Antonym: last (indirect, via intermediate, first)
Antonym: intermediate (indirect, via first, last)
- original - (of e.g. information) not secondhand or by way of something intermediary; "his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources"
Antonym: secondary (indirect, via primary)
- original - being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of; "a truly original approach"; "with original music"; "an original mind"
Antonyms: unoriginal, banal, commonplace, hackneyed, old-hat, shopworn, stock, threadbare, timeworn, tired, trite, well-worn, bromidic, corny, platitudinal, platitudinous, cliched, ready-made, old, stale, moth-eaten, slavish
- original - not derived or copied or translated from something else; "the play is original; not an adaptation"; "he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox"; "the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French"
Antonym: derived (indirect, via underived)
,Noun original has 2 senses
- master, master copy, original - an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made
--1 is a kind of creation
- original, archetype, pilot - an original model on which something is patterned
--2 is a kind of model, example