- development - act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining; "he congratulated them on their development of a plan to meet the emergency"; "they funded research and development"
--1 is a kind of improvement
--1 has particulars:
advancement, progress; broadening; elaboration, working out; product development Derived forms: verb develop1, verb develop11
- development, evolution - a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage); "the development of his ideas took many years"; "the evolution of Greek civilization"; "the slow development of her skill as a writer"
--2 is a kind of process
--2 has particulars: assibilation; deepening; growth; unfolding, flowering
Derived form: verb develop14
- development - a recent event that has some relevance for the present situation; "recent developments in Iraq"; "what a revolting development!"
--3 is a kind of change, alteration, modification
--3 has particulars:
turn, turn of events, twist; phenomenon; complication, ramification Derived form: verb develop20
- exploitation, development - the act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful; "the development of Alaskan resources"; "the exploitation of copper deposits"
--4 is a kind of use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
--4 has particulars:
land development; water development, water project, water program; overexploitation, overuse, overutilization, overutilisation; capitalization, capitalisation; commercialization, commercialisation; electrification; unitization, unitisation Derived form: verb develop6
- development - a district that has been developed to serve some purpose; "such land is practical for small park developments"
--5 is a kind of district, territory, territorial dominion, dominion
--5 has particulars: housing development; housing estate
Derived form: verb develop6
- development - a state in which things are improving; the result of developing (as in the early part of a game of chess); "after he saw the latest development he changed his mind and became a supporter"; "in chess your should take care of your development before moving your queen"
--6 is a kind of improvement, melioration
--6 has particulars: underdevelopment
Derived forms: verb develop17, verb develop18
- growth, growing, maturation, development, ontogeny, ontogenesis - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
--7 is a kind of organic process, biological process
--7 has parts: gastrulation
--7 has particulars:
Derived forms: verb develop10, verb develop4
- development, developing - processing a photosensitive material in order to make an image visible; "the development and printing of his pictures took only two hours"
--8 is a kind of processing
--8 has particulars: underdevelopment
Derived form: verb develop15