- functioning - performing or able to perform its regular function; "a functioning flashlight"
Antonyms: malfunctioning, nonfunctional, amiss, awry, haywire, wrong, bad, defective, dead, run-down, out of whack
- operation, functioning, performance - process or manner of functioning or operating; "the power of its engine determine its operation"; "the plane's operation in high winds"; "they compared the cooking performance of each oven"; "the jet's performance conformed to high standards"
--1 is a kind of process
Derived form: verb function1
- function, work, operate, go, run - perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
Antonyms: malfunction, misfunction
Derived form: noun functioning1
These cars won't function
- serve, function - serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
--2 is one way to suffice, do, answer, serve
Derived form: noun function2
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s something
- officiate, function - perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"
--3 is one way to serve
Derived forms: noun function3, noun functionary1
Somebody ----s PP