- hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno - any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";
--1 is a kind of region, part
- hell, blaze - a cause of difficulty and suffering; "war is hell"; "go to blazes"
--2 is a kind of trouble
- Hell, perdition, Inferno, infernal region, nether region, the pit - (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"
--3 is a kind of imaginary place, mythical place
--3 has particulars: Gehenna, Tartarus; hellfire, red region
- Hel, Hell, Hades, infernal region, netherworld, Scheol, underworld - (religion) the world of the dead; "he didn't want to go to hell when he died"
--4 is a kind of imaginary place, mythical place
--4 has parts:
Acheron, River Acheron; Cocytus, River Cocytus; Lethe, River Lethe; Styx, River Styx
- sin, hell - violent and excited activity; "they began to fight like sin"
--5 is a kind of activity
- hell, blaze - noisy and unrestrained mischief; "raising blazes"
--6 is a kind of mischief, mischief-making, mischievousness, deviltry, devilry, devilment, rascality, roguery, roguishness, shenanigan