Noun rag has 5 senses
- rag, shred, tag, tag end, tatter - a small piece of cloth or paper
--1 is a kind of piece of cloth, piece of material
--1 has particulars: pine-tar rag
- rag, rag week - a week at British universities during which side-shows and processions of floats are organized to raise money for charities
--2 is a kind of week, hebdomad
--2 has parts: rag day
- ragtime, rag - music with a syncopated melody (usually for the piano)
--3 is a kind of dance music, danceroom music, ballroom music
- tabloid, rag, sheet - newspaper with half-size pages
--4 is a kind of newspaper, paper
- rag - a boisterous practical joke (especially by college students)
--5 is a kind of practical joke
,Verb rag has 6 senses
- torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate - treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
--1 is one way to harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil - cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
--2 is one way to displease
The performance is likely to rag Sue
- rag - play in ragtime; "rag that old tune"
--3 is one way to play, spiel
They will rag the duet
- tease, razz, rag, cod, tantalize, tantalise, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride - harass with persistent criticism or carping; "The children teased the new teacher"; "Don't ride me so hard over my failure"; "His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
--4 is one way to mock, bemock
Somebody ----s somebody
- call on the carpet, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast - censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
--5 is one way to knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
Sam cannot rag Sue
- rag - break into lumps before sorting; "rag ore"
--6 is one way to break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something